Re: [OT] ICMP destination unreachable

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 09:12, James Pifer wrote:
> No worries. Ok, here is one example of the problem. I receive a trap
> from device cmpatl01.atl.cmp.com, then my machine tries to immediately
> do an ICMP back to that machine. Thanks, James

As it should, if snmptrapd (or some other snmp based program) is not
listening on udp 162. The system that received the snmptrap is probably
sending back an ICMP type 3 destination unreachable (which includes port
unreachable as a sub code).

If I was to guess, it sounds like you might be confused with the fact
you can still ping this device (ICMP type 8) vs it not accepting
connections on udp port 162 (ICMP type 3). If this is the case, consider
reading about the ICMP protocol suite at:

http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/icmp.htm

Steve Cowles