Re: Mail error: reason: 550 5.0.0 You must use a valid mail server

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:24:15AM -0800, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> I followed the thread, there was a lot of information in this thread, but
> now I'm confused as to WHICH method to actually do.
>
> I use a dynamic IP as my cable provider won't give out a static one. My
> friend does my DNS, and luckily the cablespeed people don't change my IP
> very much -- every few months if that.

I use zoneedit.com to manage my DNS names and have scripts running
locally that automatically change the DNS entries if/when my address
changes.  The zoneedit service is free for small sites.

> So... What do I need to put where for my RedHat 8 sendmail configuration to
> circumvent this annoying problem with lists, AOL, sourceforge, etc...

If you're using sendmail, add something like this to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp:smtp.comcast.net')dnl

Instructions for rebuilding the cf file from sendmail.mc are in the top
of sendmail.mc.  Then, restart sendmail.  Your smart host will, of
course, vary depending on who your ISP is.  Once you've done this,
you'll see entries in maillog that say that you're relaying.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx