Re: Email problems

On November 22, 2003 04:02 pm, Jeff Lasman wrote:
> Details:
>
> RHL 9, KDE, KMAIL, 384M memory, Celeron 1.7Ghz
> Fairly standard install, but no longer using blue-curve default.
>
> When I tried to send an email message I got back an error message saying
> the send failed failed and it would block other messages from moving.
>
> So I right-clicked on it in the outbox and deleted it (moved it to
> trash).  From trash I moved it to drafts, and then double-clicked on
> it, which reopened it.  I sent it.  I got no error messages.  And I
> didn't notice all day that it and several other emails just sat in the
> inbox unmoving.
>
> This morning I noticed.  Top shows my system has been running for 17
> days, 1 hour (and right now, 0 minutes).
>
> I logged out of X and logged back in.  Several test emails have moved
> out fine, but I soon had the same problem.
>
> So I've just tried a reboot; let's see how long it goes before doing it
> again.  Is 17 days too long to stay logged in to X?  Is it to long to
> run a RHL9 system used as a desktop without rebootng?
>
> Any ideas?

Hi,
What error did you get when the send failed? That is very important. There may
be some address problem or whatever stopping it from being delivered. It may
just have been the remote server was not availble. It will block other
outbound mail as the queue will stop sending when it fails on that message,
which will be at the 'top' of the q.

As far as uptime, you can leave it on as long as you want. The only time I
reboot anything (desktop or server  or firewall) is to change hardware, kick
in a new kernel or if the power is out:(

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce