Re: NIS not starting at boot

On Friday, Nov 21, 2003, at 09:49 America/New_York, Cannon, Andrew wrote:

I have a new problem though. We are setting up a cluster using NIS for
password authentication, with the master node of the cluster as an NIS slave
server and the rest of the cluster getting their NIS maps from that node. We
are only using 2 nodes at the moment and are going to ghost the images onto
the rest of the cluster when the setup is satisfactory.

Anyway, If I reboot the cluster, (just the compute node, not the NIS slave
node) the node loses it's NIS connection. On boot it doesn't set it's
domainname or start ypbind. The logs don't even show ypbind starting! I have
to manually do the following:

	[root@clone /]# domainname cluster
	[root@clone /]# /etc/init.d/ypbind start
	Binding to the NIS domain:                                 [  OK  ]
	Listening for an NIS domain server..
	[root@clone /]# ypwhich
	NISslaveserv
	[root@clone /]# /etc/init.d/autofs reload
	Checking for changes to /etc/auto.master ....
	Start /usr/sbin/automount /newhome yp auto.home -nosuid

This seems to be a long-winded way of doing things. Our other RH box (not a
cluster machine) starts NIS with no problems. Has anyone else come across
this problem? It is a headless node running in init 3. This shouldn't have
any effect should it?

Andrew

P.S. Sorry for the long signature, it is standard company policy...

NNC's UK Operating Companies : NNC Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856). The registered office of each company is at Booths Hall, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at 6 Union Row, Aberdeen AB10 1DQ. NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Hall and the switchboard number is 01565 633800. The NNC website is www.nnc.co.uk

This email and any files transmitted with it have been sent to you by the relevant UK operating company and are confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the NNC system manager by e-mail at eadm@xxxxxxxxxx
--

I'm glad you apologized for that sig, now how about apologizing for NOT googling first. The command you want to read the man pages for is chkconfig. It will manage all the rc runlevels for you. Make sure that ypbind is set to on for runlevel 3. As to setting a persistent domainname, here's what i posted to the list yesterday (to the same question!)

Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network
add a line that reads:
NISDOMAIN=mygroup
or whatever your domain is called