Re: kernel errors when hda is read? Help! [solved?]

Ken wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Those round cables provide more than just different airflow.  They
> also provide for better electrical noise isolation because they are
> twisted pair wiring inside, instead of a flat wire geometry (which is
> an excellent geometry for catching and keeping electromagnetic noise).

I've been trying to improve airflow, cooling, and noise for a while now
with several machines; why I have to build them myself I'm not clear on
anymore, but...

Anyway, I've used the round SCSI, IDE, and floppy cables several times
now (both cheap and not so cheap) with marginal results.  Yes, they
improve airflow a bit (not sure how much electrical noise is really an
issue) but they don't last worth a crap.

Maybe if you install them once and never touch them again, they might be
okay, however, if you move drives/cables around at all, even a little
bit, they go bad (even the ones with neat little pull-tabs).  I've
traced drive errors to bad round cables every damn time I've used them;
you'd be surprised how goofy a scsi bus gets with a bad cable; then
again, maybe not).  Conversely, I yank/tug/plug ribbon cables all the
time, and they almost never go bad (unless one of the plastic connectors
actually breaks, and even then I've continued to use one in an old
machine for the kids).

As long as nothing is really overheating, eg, CPU, graphics card, HD,
mobo chipset, etc, then your airflow is fine.  I've given up on those
damn round cables; every one has failed on me, some with only minimal
tugging on the stupid pull-tabs.  Crappy cables I don't need...

Just my $.02 worth...

Steve