Re: Mounting partition

On Wednesday, Nov 19, 2003, at 15:18 America/New_York, Roger Beever wrote:

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 08:43, Steve Phillips wrote:
On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 05:50, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
Right here goes.
Since I had not made an addition to fstab yet I tried the idea above
without the unmount line and the ls -l was as above (the mount line had
to be mount "/dev/hdb3 /win" to work of course.
So I thought try again as listed and guess what for some reason RHRL -3
WS has no unmount.
whereis mount gives locations but whereis unmount gives none.
What do I do now ?
Roger

try umount instead :-)

--
Steve.
Thanks (the number of times I read in the missing n even in the "man mount")

I think the real problem is not the permissions on the mount point, but rather the options you pass to the mount command. files and directories on vfat partitions have no owners or permissions and thus get assigned to mounter by the OS at mount time. Because you can only mount them as root currently, all the files will belong to root. You need to investigate the -o option to mount (by reading the man page for mount) and in particular the "-o user" option. Your personal needs may vary and you might rather use the users option instead. Just read the man page :-)

Jurvis LaSalle