Re: Mail error: reason: 550 5.0.0 You must use a valid mail server

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:03:12 -0800 (PST), Paul Gillen wrote
> > > I do not have that problem, but ...  What do you
> > mean by "smart host?" Are you
> > > saying to use one's isp for outbound smtp?
> > Yes.
>
> As originator of this thread, a slight clarification.
>
> You will in effect use your ISP's SMTP for outbound
> SMTP, but the SMART_HOST part is adding an element to
> your sendmail config that tells your local SMTP to
> relay to your ISP's SMTP for delivery.  This, as
> opposed to reconfiguring your clients to point to your
> ISP.
>
> Not only is this more elegant, but should you change
> your ISP you only have one thing to change.  Also this
> is superior to the proposed solution of over-riding
> for RedHat.com specifically as it will solve the
> problem for any similarly configured recipient site.
>
> This seems to have solved my problem.  (Now if I could
> only back out all the other stupid things I did trying
> to fix it.)

Thank you for the clarification.

Further question on this ...

I use ultrdns to point my domain name to my static ip. Hence, a host
domain-name returns the correct ip address. However, a host ip-address returns
the isp information since their PTR zone record points to

host mm-vanecek.cc
mm-vanecek.cc has address 66.76.121.5

host 66.76.121.5
5.121.76.66.in-addr.arpa. 43200 IN      PTR
cdm-66-76-121-5.htsp.cox-internet.com

[admin@www admin]$ dig mm-vanecek.cc ANY

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> mm-vanecek.cc ANY
;; ANSWER SECTION:
mm-vanecek.cc.          86268   IN      MX      10 mail.mm-vanecek.cc.
mm-vanecek.cc.          83121   IN      A       66.76.121.5
mm-vanecek.cc.          86268   IN      NS      udns1.ultradns.net.
mm-vanecek.cc.          86268   IN      NS      udns2.ultradns.net.
mail.mm-vanecek.cc.     86268   IN      A       66.76.121.5

Two questions.

1. Why do I not run into the same reverse lookup problem? Is it because I have
a static ip?

2. If I understand things correctly ...  The only way host ip-address will
return my domain-name is for my isp to put a PTR record in their zone
definitions (which most are reluctant to do)? Any other way to get a reverse
lookup to point to my domain name as opposed to the isp name?