Re: Strange filesystem problem

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 10:23, bdw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yesterday, I ran into an unusual problem with my ext3 filesystem.  Well,
one that I consider strange at any rate.

The root partition became 100% full, and after backing up user data and
removing packages that weren't being used, I still have the file system at
100% full.  I must have cleared about 2 gigs worth of data but I still
have a full file system.

I deleted old log files, ran the "synch" command serveral times, and did
an file system check, but the file system is still being shown as full,
even after clearning 2 gigs of data.

It's possible that the files you deleted were open in some process. Until that process exits, they still exist on disk. Restart any process that probably had any of the very large files you deleted open.