Re: Opening files from MS software

On November 9, 2003 07:36 pm, Hemond Steve wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I switched to RH Linux some months ago. However, my coworkers still living
> with MS Windows, I have to deal with .doc, .xls, etc. files. These files
> are openable with the OpenOffice suite, but for almost all of the .doc
> files I have tried opening, they are misinterpreted and not displayed
> correctly.
>
> Are there any other people who still have to deal in part with the MS
> World? I really don't want to re-install Windows just to open .doc files!
>
> I would like to know how people like me has delt with that kind of problem
> by talking about how they have setup RedHat Linux to suit their needs.
>
> Thanks in advance for your answers,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve

Hi,
At work I am surrounded in them so my understanding boss got me VMware
(virtual machine you can install any i386 os into). VM ver2 worked well for
RH 7x, except you have to be carefull with any kernel changes you do or you
can break VMware. I recently installed 9 and they got me the new VMware ver4
to match the new kernel. It has a few problems like wanting to run at  the
highest priority '-19' so i have a little renice script to fix  that and the
clipboard does not interact with the KDE Klipper clipboard very well
(although it used to) Anyway, I need to read M$Office stuff sometimes and to
connect with an Exchange 5 server. VMWare works great for those things. It
has also had the odd networking problem and roaming profile probs (it is
Windows so what would you expect:) It took a while to get the new version of
VMWare set to not hog resources etc, but it is worth it, I can run Linux as
my main OS and still look like a team player :-)

I get a lot of email that I need to copy text to/from vi and I had heard that
Ximian's Evolution and Exchange-Connector is supposed to work well but it
only works on Exchange 2000 or newer so I can't use it.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce