Re: Opening files from MS software

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 11:36, Hemond Steve wrote:

> I would like to know how people like me has delt with that kind of problem by
> talking about how they have setup RedHat Linux to suit their needs.

While OpenOffice currently does a respectable job it does, as you have
found, fall short in a Business Environment where you need to interact
with folks using MS Office products and all of its "features".

I have had fairly good success with CodeWeavers CrossOver Office from
the folks at http://www.codeweavers.com.

With it I can easily open MS attachments in applications such as
Evolution.  Working within the environment is quite simple with good
performance.

One thing you have to be careful of is installation and maintenance.  If
you are a KDE user such as myself you have to *know* (cause it ain't
mentioned anywhere that I've seen) that you'd better bring up a full
gnome environment before installing under KDE.  That's because if the
config files and such for gnome don't exist and you use a gnome base
application such as Evolution the hooks to open the application won't
get installed.  If you miss that step of having run gnome at some point
it is a real bear to get things working properly.

Also, word of caution, the current version of Crossover Office and RHEL
do *not* play well together.  Don't even think of running them together
unless you like powering off you system to get it back from the hung
state.

With luck, the folks at RH and Crossover are finished pointing fingers
at each other and are going about getting things working.  But, since
I've moved on to RHEL I'm back to saving MS Office docs to samba shared
disks and opening them in Win2x via VNC.  Well, at least I don't have to
dual boot....  :-)

Ed

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.