Re: Concerns with Fedora

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 16:46, Richard Crawford wrote:
> The main reasons why I have been hesitant about staying with Red Hat and
> why I've been considering switching to SuSE are:
>
> 1.  Ximian does not support Fedora because of GNOME issues (Ximian
>     is based on GNOME 2.2, it looks like Fedora uses a later release, and
>     this could cause problems).  I'm not all that concerned about keeping
>     the entire Ximian Desktop, but I don't want to lose Evolution. ;-)

Evolution 1.4.5 is there and working well, and so is OpenOffice 1.1.
I'm not sure what else is provided by Ximian Desktop, but I suspect it
wouldn't be too much trouble to track down the rest.

> 2.  Up2date.  I'm not savvy enough to update everything that needs updating
>     entirely on my own, and I really appreciated having the up2date agent
>     to keep my system nice and secure.

up2date is still there, but it runs off of a yum repository now.  The
rhn-applet is also still there, so the the glowing red exclamation mark
still lets you know an update is available.

> Right now I'm considering downloading Fedora and putting it on a test
> machine.  Has anyone installed it, and has anyone had any
> good/bad/horrid/ecstatic experiences with it?

Running release 1 for a day now - not a long time, sure, but no problems
to speak of.

Regards,

Scott