Re: Thoughts on Fedora

On Sunday 26 October 2003 04:22 pm, Peter B. West wrote:

> So what's your opinion of RH9, both for commercial and personal use.

When I wrote my post I was thinking about our web servers when I wrote
"commercial use".  I've never used RH9 in our webservers (though two of
the control panels we offer support it) because I didn't feel Apache 2
was far enough advanced to be used for commercial webhosting.

While I now feel it is, I'm not willing to make the change to RHL for
the few extra months of support available for it.

For personal use... well that's a bit simpler; I'm currently writing
this reply on my personal workstation in my home office, on RHL9.

For the future?  I'm studying Knoppix, as a way to get an easy install
of debian linux, which is the longest lived entirely non-commercial
distribution.  I'm also considering two recent commercial Red Hat
products; both RHPWS and RHEL3WS (at the half-price offer I received)
are good options.

> I upgraded my 7.3 personal systems to 9, after having redhat
> installed on at least one system since somewhere in the 4's, I think,
> and I have never had so many things break on an upgrade before.  A
> lot of my problems have been to do with the font changes, and others
> with the move to a default Unicode environment.  There has been much
> wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I never upgrade between whole numbers.  I always start fresh.  I think
most long-term linux users would agree with me.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation