Re: chroot jail: can't run as non-root? (repost)

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
Hi,
I'm a bit confused. I am trying to use chroot to run some services, in effect creating a root jail. I put all the necessary share libs in the new root directory.
All the reading I did suggest that I don't run service as root, as it may be possible to break out of the root jail if it's run as root. But, chroot command cannot be run if I'm not root, can it? So how do I do this?

The service needs to chroot as the root user, then change to a different UID. Often, that means that you need a dummy passwd file inside your chroot.