chroot jail: can't run as non-root?

Hi,
I'm a bit confused. I am trying to use chroot to run some services, in effect
creating a root jail. I put all the necessary share libs in the new root
directory.
All the reading I did suggest that I don't run service as root, as it may be
possible to break out of the root jail if it's run as root. But, chroot
command cannot be run if I'm not root, can it? So how do I do this?

So far, I've done:
root $> chroot /home/service /bin/bash

Then in the new root dir
sh $> ./service_name

does that mean the service run as root? How do I avoid that since "chroot"
needs to be run as root? Does anyone know any program that make something
like this easier, so that I don't need to manually track all the necessary
share libs that the service use and put them under the new root directory ?

I've googled this, but have not hit anything that could help me. Most of the
stuff I got is too general.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reuben D. Budiardja

--