Re: Apache 2.0.45 w/ RH9 - does not work

On Friday 31 October 2003 20:42, Al Gidden wrote:
> We have used Linux and Apache 1.3/2.0 for many years.
>
> I decided to install a new server with RH9 Pro.
> It comes with Apache 2.0.40.
>
> Redhat support tells me that this is the only version you can use in
> RH9. I find that to be a crock.
>
> I downloaded and compiled 2.0.45 as it has a number of important
> security fixes we would prefer to have.
> It compiled and installed without any problems.
>
> The problem is that when you start apache 2.0.45, it is listening on
> port 80 but
> not getting any requests.
> That is, when I open a browser and input any of the following, no
> page comes up, there is no error in the log, and no info in the
> access_log: http://localhost
> http://127.0.0.1
> http://1.2.3.4 (machines IP address)
>
> If I run netstat it shows the listener on port 80.
>
> Next, we stop the apache 2.0.45 server and run the built-in version
> of apache 2.0.40.
> It works without any problems.
>
> We are positive that there is no firewall running.
>
> Could it be that only 2.0.40 is 'allowed' to run for some reason?
> Is there something I need to do to the 2.0.40 installation to allow
> the 2.0.45
> installation to run?
>
> We were told by Redhat that there is no RPM to update the
> Apache version. I have tried to hand-patch an RPM install with a
> newer version and it takes hours and rarely works.
>
> Any suggestions about:
> - what to do to get 2.0.45 to work?
> - how to troubleshoot apache when it is running and listening but
> doing nothing else?
>
> We are on our third day with this stupid mess. RedHat support keeps
> telling us
> odd things.
>
> It seems silly to not support the latest Apache versions when there
> are so many
> security fixes that 2.0.40 does not have.
>
> Help??
>
> Al

Al

Can't help you on the 2.0.45 qutestion but are you sure that the RH9
apache hasn't addressed your security concerns?

Just in case you're not aware of it, RH backports its patches and you
can see whatever security issues may have been addressed in the
individual errata sheets:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh9-errata.html

Regards,  Mike Klinke