Re: 'Device busy' error when trying to Rebuild RPM Database...

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Joe Nestlerode wrote:

Hello,

I accidentaly deleted /var/lib/rpm.  (Don't ask.)  I am trying to
rebuild the rpm database so, hopefully, rpm will function normally once
again.  But I get this error:

root / >> rpm --rebuilddb
error: db4 error(16) from dbenv->remove: Device or resource busy

I'm at a loss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've been there. stock red hat 9 + a 2.6 kernel will eat your rpm database...

But I digress.

Your best bet is to snag a tarball of the rpm database from a similarly configured machine with a similar package list and just keep doing
rpm --justdb package removes until you get a decent rpm -Va.

Once that's all done, remove the lock files from /var/lib/rpm/__* and do your
rpm --rebuilddb and you should be set.

It might not be woth the effort, though. My experience is that rpm works just fine after --rebuildb despite this message. Its occurence might be a but, though. Have you checked if it's mentioned in bugzilla?

As an aside, I find messages like the one above *really* annoying. You simply don't print "devince busy" or "file not found" messages without including the device or filename in question!

- Toralf