Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

I allready used up some mod points I had on the /. thread about this so I figure I'll post my
views here.

Is Linux/GNU-Hurd/Red-Hat/BSDen/any distro ready for the desktop?  Is that a simple question?  The
answers are maybe and no.  Should someone at the head of a major Linux Disto say something like
that, the answer is a resounding NO!

And here is why, this is a big game that is being played out and, sadly, there are no refs enforce
any rules.  (Hellooooo, MS gets a slap on the wrist after being *convicted* of being a monopoly.)
So basically what the powers that be have said is it's up to us to figure this all out and may the
best man win, in essence.  And for those of you that are joining us late, MS has a way of playing
kind of dirty ball.

Ok, so while like I said before is the question of Linux, et all, being ready for the desktop a
simple question?  Not in the slightest.  There are many considerations to be taken into account
when dealing with even a desktop:  stability, security, cost, available applications, and games
just to name a few.  Now should every user have to do a breakdown of all the issues that a desktop
might have, no.  But should they rule out Linux as a solution for some desktop, never.

I have supported Red Hat and *nix as a while for many years now.  To give such a statement to the
likes of those who have said such things as, "the GNU lisance is a cancer" and "Linux is our #1
target" is sheer folly.  I will continue to support and recommend Red Hat, but now I will have to
explain myself when asked by someone why the CEO of that co says that it's not ready for the
desktop.  Thanks for making my job harder just because your *90* year old dad can't handle your distro.