Re: mounting smbfs and RH9 problems

Matt H wrote
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:23:51 -0500 (EST)
> Jiann-Ming Su <jsu2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > When I try to mount a smbfs share on my RH9 system, mount or smbmount
> > fails to return the shell.  The share does get mounted, though.
> > Doing a quick search on google groups, looks like I'm not the only
> > person who has ran into this.
>
> I have the same basic problem. At boot up, it hangs when it tries to mount
> the smb shares.

It's possible that one (or both) of you are suffering from the new and
improved threading model (nptl, now with green crystals) that shipped with
RH9. Sadly, it broke lots of stuff ;(

Before you go down another track, I'd reccomend that you update to the newest
RH9 kernel and glibc. Another gotcha, here : when you upgrade glibc, you
should *not* assume that you should install the i386 one. Instead, check to
see which one you currently have installed, and install that one. If you run
the following command, you can see which arch you have installed.

[root@linux10 root]# rpm -q --queryformat '%{ARCH} %{NAME}\n' glibc
i686 glibc

If you're not running a 386, don't install the 386 glibc rpm. I know it sounds
stupid, but rpm will let you do it, and up2date will happily comply.

-justinb

--
Justin Banks
Constant Data, Inc.