RH9 vs Fedora vs RHEL-3-WS

First, this is an observation not an opinion.  :-)

My HW is a Dual Xeon 2.8GHz on an Intel SE7505VB2.  It has 1GB of RAM,
an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 running the drivers from Nvidia.

My current OS is a fully up2date RH9.

I also run VMware.  The OSs I had been running are WinXP, Win2K, Win2003
Server, RH7.3, RH9, RHEL-2.1-WS.

Since I have a fully licensed version of RHEL-2.1-WS I found that I was
eligible to download RHEL-3-WS.  So, I did that and installed it as a
guest OS in VMware.

While experimenting with RHEL-3-WS I noticed, curiously enough, that
things just seemed to be going much quicker than in the other RH OS I've
been using in VMware.  I though it strange since it is a VM and is
running with under the RH9 OS.

I then decided to run out and get a new disk to do a "native" install of
RHEL-3-WS.  I had been running a 160GB SATA drive from Western Digital.
I stayed with WD but decided to go with the 250GB drive.  Same rotation,
same cache.

Low and behold RHEL-3-WS is  faster than RH9 or Fedora on my hardware.
I observed an overall 20-30% decrease in the amount of time for most
operations.

An extreme illustration is the time it takes for the first user to login
to a KDE desktop after the system has been booted.  The first login
following a reboot takes about 53 seconds when I boot to RH9.  With
RHEL-3-WS it takes about 18 seconds.  The difference is less on
subsequent logins.  But, in all cases RHEL-3-WS gets me there quicker.

Things like Evolution start in a flash on RHEL while it takes noticeably
longer (but not really annoying) on RH9.

Again, just my observation.  YMMV....

Now, I do have a bit of migration work to do since RHEL-3-WS doesn't
support all the drivers/devices that RH9 does.  For example, it doesn't
install bttv (video capture) by default.  You have to install it from an
rpm labeled "unsupported".

Yet, I still will move to RHEL-3-WS very shortly.  The cost of a
subscription is not, IMHO, too high when you consider it breaks down to
about $0.25/day.  Besides, Red Hat stock has gone up by 130% since I
bought it a while back.  :-) :-)

Regards,
Ed

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.