RE: Can you use Apache with RH9?

Thanks for your comments.

The issue with the Apache version (even if it was patched to 2.0.48)
is that security programs check httpd and think it is 2.0.40. Therefore
they complain. (Websphere and JRun complain at install time because they
will not install unless you have 2.0.45 or later installed. So you
cannot deploy Websphere or JRun on RH9 until you solve the Apache problem.
Tomcat and other app servers have similar problems with the Apache
connector in 2.0.40).

I agree with your knee-jerk reaction. The problem is that three Linux
admins have been on the problem for a week and cannot make any headroom.
Note that we can all compile Apache on any other Linux/UNIX and it works
fine. (and each have done so many times in the last years)

We even tried to patch 2.0.40 at one time but we only managed to break it.

My guess is that someone at RedHat tried to patch or install a later
version then 2.0.40 on RH9.
They either know how to do it, or know why it does not work.
This info would save me all the $$ we are hemorraging with RH9.
Never had any issues like this with other *nix's.

I would actually trade this problem for a compile problem anyday.
(Never thought I would say that)

Thanks,
Al