Re: Can you use Apache with RH9?

At 12:21 11/3/2003, you wrote:
Anyone using Apache (post 2.0.40) on RH9?

Two friends of mine are doing so; I prefer to use RPM.

Need the latest version of Apache.

RH9 comes with 2.0.40 - which has a number of security fixes missing.

To ensure continued compatibility for users of an RHL version like 9, Red Hat backports security fixes to the version it released. So instead of releasing a 2.0.40 then .45 then .47 Apache, they will take the security and bug fixes (not new features) from the newer package and put them into the 2.0.40 source, producing a newer 2.0.40 errata release.

Do not conclude that it is broken just because it is 2.0.40.

RH tells me that only Apache with RPM's will work, and they only have an RPM
for 2.0.40.

I have trouble believing that, since it is obvious to all that you can compile and run damn near anything on any version of Red Hat Linux. However, I can perfectly well believe that RH support would tell you that they would only SUPPORT Apache with RPM's and that they will not speak to or comment on anything else. This is so that they don't spend money answering questions about products they didn't provide and where the compiling process introduces nearly infinite variety (and nearly infinite possible points of failure).

When you install Apache or build from source (any 2.x version) on RH9 it
will run but not work. (see the listeners but no response)

Knee-jerk response: you are doing something wrong. Red Hat has not intentionally broken any non-RPM, compiled-from-source software; that's absurd.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx