Re: lowercase to uppercase

Gordon Messmer wrote
> The perl script may over write one file with another whose contents are
> different.  I'd consider that the Wrong Thing.

mv(1) also overwrites files with different contents. So does cat(1). I don't
see how that is relevant in any case, as it was not in the original problem
specification.

> The shell script is slow, but with the "echo" line fixed, it should do
> the Wrong Thing in far fewer cases than the other versions posted.

Depending on your version of the Wrong Thing(TM), I suppose. It will do
exactly what the original question asked, and it will do it quickly. It
will not save you from yourself, though, which is not the point anyway ;)

Maybe I'm just being defensive, I dunno. Your logic is the same as that which
aliases rm to 'rm -i' in a default RH box. That, along with kudzu, is one of
the first things I undo after an install. When I want to rm(1) something,
I mean it.

If I wanted to be asked if I wanted to do something, I'd be running windows.

-justinb

--
Justin Banks
Constant Data, Inc.