Re: Postgresql 101

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

I've installed the all the postgresql rpms on my RHL 9 machine and I've run the command "service postgresql start". My question is:

What do I do now?

1) su to the postgres user and create a new user with the "createuser" command.

If this is a multi-user system:

2) set passwords on both the postgres user and your new user.
3) adjust your security settings in /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf

How do I log in a database?

# su postgres -c "psql template1"

Once you've created a new user, he can just execute 'psql'.

What is the password to su to postgres?

There isn't one, unless you set one yourself.

Do the createdb and createuser programs do anything other than output
error messages?

Yes. If you find the other documentation a little thick, try the book:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/index.html

It's been helpful to me.