RE: redhat-list request

>On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 12:23, Wayne Betts wrote:
>> One favor to ask of the redhat-list administrator:
>>
>>  If it is possible, please insert "[redhat-list]" into the Subject: line.
>> The rhn-users list does it, so I'm assuming the technical capability is
>> built into redhat's list server.  Having that text in the subject block
>> greatly eases the burden when facing a crush of emails from numerous
>> sources.

>No No No!  I hate that.
>
>There are numerous ways to filter your mail even in Outlook.  If your
>mail is all jumbled into a single inbox I can feel your pain.  Lern to
>use filters and have outlook automatically out all list messages into a
>folder call redhat-list and you will never look back.
>Bret

Clearly I'm being out-voted here, at least 3 to 1 so far, (more if we count
each "No" above :-).  Fine.  I thank those of you who made filtering
suggestions.  I can and have set up filters and rules in mail clients (yes,
"even in Outlook").

However, sometimes my own eyeballs and brain are the only available or
convenient filter.  For example, say I'm using a web-based interface to my
mail server in which I can configure no rules.  Or if I am using someone
else's computer, and barely have time to put it my server settings, let
alone a couple of dozen rules to duplicate my laptop where I keep everything
nice and tidy.

Matthew Galgoci wrote:
> Adding [redhat-list] to the subject line is an issue of debate. Some
broken
> mailers will append Subject: [redhat-list] [redhat-list] [redhat-list].
Other
> people find it visually unappealing. In my experience its just better to
leave
> the subject alone and let people filter on the message headers.

The rhn-users list puts in the "[rhn-users]" text in the Subject, and I know
that does wonders for me in the types of situations I mention above.  I
don't see how this tidbit can be so aesthetically objectionable, but that's
aesthetics.  Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.  As for the
multiple [] problem, I'll just say that I've never noticed it on the
rhn-list, and only very rarely on any list whatsoever.  Seems (to me!) like
something that should be *very* easy to handle on the list server side, but
I bow to the judgement of the administrator, and thank him for his
consideration.

<This email is certified flame-free by the sender :-) >

Wayne