Re: redhat-list request

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 04:15:36PM -0500, Wayne Betts wrote:

> However, sometimes my own eyeballs and brain are the only available or
> convenient filter.  For example, say I'm using a web-based interface to my
> mail server in which I can configure no rules.

If it's your mail server, you can configure rules.  I do this with
procmail.  My web interface to my mail is via squirrelmail which uses
imap to access my mail folders.  I read my mail from a public library in
another state while I was travelling this summer.  That was a locked
down system with only IE - nothing else.  No issues (other than
squirrelmail is a little slow on large spools).

> Or if I am using someone
> else's computer, and barely have time to put it my server settings, let
> alone a couple of dozen rules to duplicate my laptop where I keep everything
> nice and tidy.

Use imap.  Your laptop will see every folder.  On somebody else's
computer, use squirrelmail.

> The rhn-users list puts in the "[rhn-users]" text in the Subject

And it's broken :-)

> that does wonders for me in the types of situations I mention above.  I
> don't see how this tidbit can be so aesthetically objectionable, but that's
> aesthetics.  Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.  As for the
> multiple [] problem, I'll just say that I've never noticed it on the
> rhn-list, and only very rarely on any list whatsoever.  Seems (to me!) like
> something that should be *very* easy to handle on the list server side, but
> I bow to the judgement of the administrator, and thank him for his
> consideration.

Let's say that redhat-list has 5,000 subscribers.  I have no idea what
the real number is, so I'm guessing.  Now let's add 14 bytes per
message, and 100 messages per day.  That's an additional 7GB of traffic
just for this.  Add up the duplicated [redhat-list] [redhat-list] that
will appear in the and you see the compounded problem.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx