RealAudio Installation Woes???

 --Please excuse the cross-posting; I'm desperate for assistance---

I'm still struggggling mightily to get RealPlayer to work.

It's downloaded and installed as a plugin and listed that way in both
Mozilla and Opera (my fave) browsers.

When I click on a RealAudio streaming link using Opera, the dialog box
comes up, but the "Open" button is grayed-out.

When I do the same thing using Mozilla, clicking Open gets me nothing.

I see a lot written about this, all in language miles over my head. The
link off this page
http://realforum.real.com/cgi-bin/unixplayer/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=install2&Number=4847&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5
means nothing to me.

In small, easy words, is there something I need to do or check? Assume
that I know practically nothing.

Thanks,
-M!