Re: GUI file commander -newbie

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:42:04 +0200,
"sting sting" <zstingx@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am using RedHat 9 ; I tried to find a suitable File Commander;
> well , there is the Nautilus 2.2.1 which is opened when I press the
> root's

Since you are a newbie you definetly SHOULDN'T be logging into root
account. root account is only for administration purposes - definetly
not for your day to day work. Login as normal user an use su & sudo to
gain superuser's permissions instead.

As you are a newbie I encourage you to read this first:

http://stalin.iodynamics.com/education/root101.html

Since you can hurt yourself running everything as root - by doingo so
you simply rape all of Linux (and other unices) security...

> There is of course the MC ; (MidnightCommander) .
> But in order to use it I must first open a gnome-terminal
> (Start->SystemTools->Terminal).
> And disadvantage of the MC is that whenever I close it (ESC/0) it
> returns to  the middle of the terminal , instead to the end).

You can make a so called "Launcher" on f.e. your panel. Launching
"gnome-terminal -e mc" will execute you a MC inside gnome-terminal with
a single click.

http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.2/gospanel-16.html#gospanel-34

> Or is there an alternate File Manager with two panes?

There are few, some of them are Total Commander clones, some difer. Try
gentoo (file manager), gnome commander, xnc (very good), krusader.

--