Re: booting from Linux drive after removing primary drive

it looks like your second drive has no mbr (master boot record)
also, as you've done some updates the modules on the hdd won't match the
kernel on the boot cd, thus not loading
if all of your linux partitions (especially / and /boot if you made it a
separate partition) are on the 2nd disk, all you should have to do is to
write a new mbr.
if you want to move your hdd as first drive (currently it is hdb, you may
want to put is as hda) you'll have some additional changes to do.
- move the hdd from slave to master if you want
- boot on your cd
- create a mount point for hdd's / (as /tmp/root for example)
- mount /dev/hdbx in /tmp/root
- chroot to /tmp/root
- mount /boot if needed
- edit lilo.conf or grub.conf if you moved the hdd and change hdbx to hdax
wherever needed
- grub-install or lilo
- reboot on your disk, it should work

hth

A 10:09 27/10/2003 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>Hey all,
>
>I'm running RH9 on the second drive of a computer that has up to now been
a dual boot drive.  Windows was on the first drive.  However the Windows
drive crashed, so I removed it.  I believe the GRUB config file might have
been written on the Windows drive when I installed RH?  In any case it will
not boot from the Linux drive.  I can boot up from the install CD and then
at the boot: prompt I can use "vmlinuz root=dev/hda2" and it'll boot up the
Linux drive from there... desktop, users and everything appear intact
HOWEVER there are some errors, kernel modules that don't load etc.  So my
network card and printer are not recognized.  Is it loading an older kernel
(the one that originally was installed from the CD)?  I've had several
updates of the kernel through RHN since installing.  If so how does one
tell which kernels are available and where they are located?  Do I have to
tell it to boot from a different partition for each kernel?

>Anyway, can anybody point me in the right direction?  I am something of a
Linux newb and searches on Google and the list archives haven't turned up
anything.