Re: Mail Server

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 06:26:38PM +0100, Marc Lalonde wrote:
> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by
> the server. The rejected e-mail address was test@xxxxxxxxxxx . Subject
> 'Test', Account: 'mail.mydomain.com', Server: '(server's LAN IP address)',
> Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 <test@xxxxxxxxxxx>... Relaying
> denied. IP name lookup failed [(Windoze's box LAN IP address)]', Port: 25,
> Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
>
> Do you think it still has to do with the port 25 being blocked???

No, your server is (correctly) refusing to send mail for someone on
a foreign IP address.  Please setup SMTP AUTH if you want remote users on
dynamic IP addresses to send mail through your server.  Ideally, you would also
only permit them to do so over an SSL- encrypted connection.

If you just permit anyone to send, spammers will use your server as an open
relay.  Even if you can figure out how to open your server up like that, DON'T.
Thank you.

--
"We can no more blame our loss of freedom on Congressmen than we can
prostitution on pimps.  Both simply provide broker services for their