Re: Mail Server

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 06:26:38PM +0100, Marc Lalonde wrote:
> > The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected
by
> > the server. The rejected e-mail address was test@xxxxxxxxxxx . Subject
> > 'Test', Account: 'mail.mydomain.com', Server: '(server's LAN IP
address)',
> > Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 <test@xxxxxxxxxxx>...
Relaying
> > denied. IP name lookup failed [(Windoze's box LAN IP address)]', Port:
25,
> > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
> >
> > Do you think it still has to do with the port 25 being blocked???
> >

> No, your server is (correctly) refusing to send mail for someone on
> a foreign IP address.  Please setup SMTP AUTH if you want remote users on
> dynamic IP addresses to send mail through your server.  Ideally, you would
also
> only permit them to do so over an SSL- encrypted connection.
>
> If you just permit anyone to send, spammers will use your server as an
open
> relay.  Even if you can figure out how to open your server up like that,
DON'T.
> Thank you.

I'm sorry, Alan, but the SMTP AUTH has been correctly configured from the
beginning. Actually, the error message I sent was only to show me that my
Outlook settings were incorrect, I didn't specify a user/password to
authenticate my usage of the SMTP. As soon as I specified to use the same
user than POP, it worked like a charm.

Also, thank you for the implication that I'm running blind with scissors
into the world of mailing with Linux... I'm completely aware of the dangers
of spamming, I won't be a nimwit and have an open mail server...