Re: Can I boot from a USB Disk?

Hello

sure you didn't find anything on it...
I'm trying to do that since a while (2 monthes) without success.
I even posted several messages on this list, without any answer.
whenever you happen to get it sucessfull, please let me know !!!

btw
- you can install rh9 on an usb disk without touching the internal disks,
no problem. build the standard boot diskette and the block device driver
diskette from the install cd, boot on the former in expert mode, insert the
latter when asked, this will give you access to the usb drive, then install
as usually
- you _should_ be able to boot on the usb disk without problem _if_ your
bios provides this feature
- if it doesn't, then you _need_ a special boot diskette with usb/scsi
drivers. here's the pain for me : i _cannot_ build a working diskette.
whatever things I try, boot always ends up in kernel panic, unable to mount
root fs.
- there's a special distro (stiix, slackware based) said to be able to boot
from an usb disk (with or without a diskette), maybe I (you ?) should try
and see how they did manage it, and try and apply this to rh9

hth