Re: Not getting Graphical Display, only Text??

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:38:09AM -0700, Dave Martini 1 wrote:
> Just installed RHEL 2.1 on a Dell Dimension with 512mb of ram.
> Not sure how much video memory there is but during the install
> it defaulted to 16bit color and 800x600 resolution.
> I installed KDE, and Gnome and checked the graphical display
> check box. I have a Dell 2000 FP flat panel 20" monitor which works ok
> in Graphical Mode on my Sun Dual Xeon RHEL 2.1 machine.

During the install did you choose the "test" button on the GUI
config page? Usually when it tests OK it will work OK (though I've
had cases on really obsolete hardware where it tested OK but refused
to work after rebooting).

You can try Xconfigurator or XF86config to see if they will configure
something well enough to get X started. It will help a lot if you
find out what graphics card/chipset is in use and how much display
RAM there is.