Re: running out of space on RH8 system

what i'd do (if i were you) :
- plug the new drive as 2nd hdd
- "fdisk" it and set partitions, PVs and LVs to fit my needs (in a kind of
one-to-one fs mapping)
- create mount points on the old root fs one for each new fs and mount them
all
- "cp -a" each file system from one disk to the other ("rsync -a" may be
interesting too)
- adjust the new /etc/fstab if needed
- adjust grub (a grub-install should be sufficent) or lilo (a bit more hairy)
- shutdown, swap the disks (or remove the old one) and reboot
you should _not_ have to reinstall any os to change the disks this way, nor
do you have to fear any data or permission loss or change (though backups
and verifications remain useful !)

another way (i'd say a bit more dirty) could be to "dd" the full old disk
on the new one (thus leaving some free space at the end of the newer disk),
(better done in single user mode) then swap the disks, boot on the new one,
test it, then allocate a new partition in the whole free space, set it as a
PV, allocate new LVs in it and extend your filesystems throught LVM

hth