Asus P4C-800-E Deluxe CSA-Ethernet not usable under RH7.3

Hi everyone,
I have following problem, which is driving me nuts:

Due to software compatibilty I have to install RH7.3 on my cluster-nodes.

The nodes are P4 2,8GHz (FSB 800) on Asus P4C-800-Deluxe, which has
an onboard Intel 82547EI CSA-GigE-Controller, which should work fine
with the e1000 - module of the 2.4.20+ kernels.

So I installed 7.3 on the local harddisk using a 3com-NIC and
upgraded to kernel 2.4.20-20.7smp over rhn.

Nevertheless I can't use the CSA network, although the driver
module loads fine and even recognizes the 100Mbs - connection,
I use for testing. All I get is "WATCHDOG NETDEV: eth0 timed out" in
/var/log/messages, followed by a reestablishing of the link, followed
by above error message and so on, as long as I try to ping.

I tried kernel 2.4.22 as well as compiling the newest drivers from
both the Asus and the intel homepages, with same result.

Using SuSE 9.0 I experience different problems (high processor load)
but the network works fine.

Disabling acpi with acpi=off as kernel option has no effect, the acpi
is turned on anyway, regarding to dmesg. Turning off apic in BIOS
or using a UP-kernel => same effect.

I am running out of ideas, somebody out there who can make a guess,
whould greatly appreciate that.

Thanx,

Christian