Re: running a crontab from command line, ad hoc

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 01:04 pm, Timothy Stone wrote:

List,

I know this can be done, but it escapes me how to do it.

I wanted to execute a user crontab this afternoon that normally runs
daily first thing in the morning. Nothing seems to work. And somehow
most manuals seem to live it unsaid, "you must innately know how to do
this."

Tips?

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

2nd way, if you have KDE installed, there is a nice GUI for crontab called kcron. If you run 'kcron' as root, you can see all the scheduled jobs for all users, select the one you want to run, click Edit-Run Now. Should be fairly intuitive.

Exactly! I actually worked for a time with one of the creators of kcron, Gary Meyer while at Context Integration (now E-Force). Great guy. However, I was looking for a way to run a user's *set* of jobs that comprises that user's "crontab" ad hoc.

So apologies, I should have phrased my need a little better. I understand the use of crontab.

So, for example, a given a user, call him/her Foo Barbaz (fbarbaz). fbarbaz's crontab has five jobs that run in the morning. I don't know what they are. I could "go root" and execute crontab -u fbarbaz -e, but instead I just want to make cron go and do all of the commands in fbarbaz's crontab. Make sense? I don't want to kcron and/or execute the individual commands I guess (and suppose I'm performing via SSH and I'm not tunnelling X. :) ) A similar feature is available in Mac OS X called "periodic"; alas though I think that is more in line with Red Hat cron directories like cron.hourly, cron.daily, et al. I want to do something where I can say in effect, "Hey Cron, i know that user's crontab is set do something at this time, but do it now."

Thanks for the help though. Any suggestion to do what I just described? Thanks a bunch!

Tim