Re: running a crontab from command line, ad hoc

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 01:04 pm, Timothy Stone wrote:
> List,
>
> I know this can be done, but it escapes me how to do it.
>
> I wanted to execute a user crontab this afternoon that normally runs
> daily first thing in the morning. Nothing seems to work. And somehow
> most manuals seem to live it unsaid, "you must innately know how to do
> this."
>
> Tips?

Are you the user? or do you have root ?
If it's another user (not you) crontab that you want to run, you must have
root previledge.

One solution: edit the crontab file and copy paste it to a terminal
$> crontab -e
to edit the file
$> crontab -u username -e
if it's another user crontab file, but it has to be run as root.

2nd way, if you have KDE installed, there is a nice GUI for crontab called
kcron. If you run 'kcron' as root, you can see all the scheduled jobs for all
users, select the one you want to run, click Edit-Run Now. Should be fairly
intuitive.

Cront is a just a command that is run in a specific schedule. So you can
always edit the crontab file, copy the comand, paste it in a terminal and run
it.

Hope that helps.

RDB

--