Re: Firewall - Limit Geographic Area

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:37:23PM -0500, lrnobs wrote:
> Remember that I am a beginner at this and am trying to learn about
> all the weapons that are available to protect my little site.

Security.  A lot of people have a lot of good advice about security,
but much of it is unrealistic.

Attempting to be reasonable, here is my current recipe for security:

  - Redhat's default install is quite secure (and at least a zillion
    times more secure than a Microsoft Windows machine can be).

  - Redhat's distribution is *only* secure if you keep up to date with
    their bug fixes.  Redhat is conservative about what they release
    as a fix, so you want apply them all.  And apply these fixes
    promptly!  RHN makes it easy.  (Consider buying one of their
    Enterprise products, they have much longer life span during which
    Redhat will supply updates.)

  - You do not have to understand everything that Redhat has done in
    their configuration (this is because they have done a decent job),
    but you *do* have to understand everything you do that deviates
    from Redhat's configuration, or you *will* introduce security
    holes.  This means you can start out not being a know-it-all, and
    learn more as you get in deeper.  (But you should learn enough
    right away to understand what I talk about here.)

  - Get another Linux computer, possibly a notebook, and use it as a
    safer place to learn, a place which won't disrupt your business.
    Keep it secure too.

  - Do not let the passwords for your server get in the hands of
    hardware you don't control.  This means:

      - do not reuse passwords between your server and, say, random
        websites on the internet (it is OK to write passwords down if
        it makes it possible to not reuse passwords, just don't write
        down in a stupid place, such as putting your ATM pin on your
        ATM card);

      - use good passwords, this means make them long, which Linux
        allows, try to have their components be things you didn't
        choose (that way no one could guess what you would
        choose--people are very bad at being random), what I do is
        *randomly* choose three english language words, connect them
        with hyphens, and use that (if you would like I can supply
        more information on exactly how I do any why it is secure);

      - do not let your server passwords into hardware you don't
        control (not at Kinkos, not at airport Kiosks, not over
        unencrypted links such as telnet, unencrypted pop, etc.,
        instead login at your server or through your own laptop, use
        ssh, encrypted pop, etc.);

      - don't ssh into a computer you don't control and then ssh into
        your server, that is like typing on a Kinkos keyboard).

  - If you think you have been broken into, assume the compromised
    computer is out to get you and will report everything it can back
    to the Bad Guys.  Get necessary pure data (not software!) backed
    up on floppy or CD, get evidence of what happened if you can, then
    rebuild from first principles.  Reformat, use original media,
    apply all fixes, do fresh downloads of any extras you collected,
    etc.

  - Do not operate as root except when you have to.  Fire up X as you,
    and type the extra password when you do any adminstration.

  - Be leery of fancy things being done for you as a user.  Use the
    simpler e-mail program over the fancy one with all the bells and
    whistles.  Turn off features that smack of things being done for
    you automatically, those features are more likely to be subverted.
    Worry about Javascript in your web browser, it has been associated
    with lots of bugs and security holes in the past, consider keeping
    it turned off except when you need it for a trusted site that
    requires it, then turn it off again.  Decide whether you really
    need to install Flash or other web plugins.  Open Office is a cool
    software suite, but it has a powerful macro feature, be worried
    about what documents you hand it--where did they come from?, one
    of these days there will be a macro virus or worm that uses that
    avenue, be cautious and you could well avoid that bug, I plan to.

  - Do not strip your server down so far that you can't readily use it
    anymore.  To do that well you will need to know more than a newbie
    does, you will likely introduce more vulnerabilities than you
    remove.

  - Do not depend on a firewall for security.  Firewalls are
    complicated to set up because they require a significant
    understanding of networking, and you could easily get it wrong.
    Make your system secure without a firewall.  Only then add a
    firewall, and only as an *extra* protection.

  - As you learn more, consider ways you might make Redhat's
    installation more secure.  For example, probably use Postfix
    (which was designed to be secure, and Redhat installs it for you)
    instead of sendmail (which is old and groady), maybe install and
    use Maradns (which was written to be secure) instead of bind
    (which is also groady).

  - Do not blindly trust anyone, stop and think.  This includes not
    trusting any advice I give you--stop and think about what I say,
    check out my assertions of fact (such as whether Redhat's default
    install is reasonably secure, whether their updates are
    conservative, whether Postfix and Maradns have good security
    reputations, etc.  www.google.com/linux is your friend).

Warning: some will disagree with what I write here.  Listen to them,
see if what they say makes sense.  Think.

-kb, the Kent who is waiting for the fan to get dirty.

P.S.  Non-security advice: Keep a log of everything you do to your
server.  It will not only be useful as a reference, but it will slow
you down in how you mangle your server by forcing you to take those
notes.