Re: Firewall - Limit Geographic Area

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 04:00:15PM -0500, lrnobs wrote:
> This web site will be used for local food delivery and all customers
> will have to set up accounts in advance to be sure they are in the
> fuzzy delivery area.

So validate the delivery address as being in your delivery area.  (By
zip code, likely.)  What difference does it make if IP connections are
in that area or not?  Maybe I want to send some of your product my
someone I know in your area, as a gift?  What if I live there, am out
of town and want to order something to arrive when I do?  What if one
half of a couple is out of town, the other home, and the out-of-town
one wants to place the order?  What if only "corporate", in Distant
City, is allowed to make purchases?

What if someone wants to see what is available in advance of arriving
in town and making the order?  What if someone wants to review what
s/he bought while visiting your great town, and wants to refer to your
web site?

If the money is good, if the delivery address is local, then why not
accept the order?  Certainly prank orders can happen, but so can they
happen with purely local transactions.

The internet is not very location based.

-kb

Note: Even phone numbers are not very location based anymore.  Vonage
numbers can be anywhere (being internet based!) and cellphones travel
while maintaining their same billing number.