Re: Firewall - Limit Geographic Area

> I believe the OP's concern is that of remote exploit (DoS, script
> kiddies, worms, etc), not of application fraud.  He wants to deny at
> layer 3, based on geography.

Yes, this is my concern. My thought is that if I can limit my visibility on
the internet then I decrease my chances to some degree of getting hacked.

If some computer science student or engineer in China or Europe is running
an automated program to probe IP addresses and I drop those requests they
will think there is no site there and the program will look for the next IP
to probe.  Now I have learned from this discussion that there is something
called spoofing where they can pretend to be in the US.  Well, the percent
that doesn't spoof will not see me.

Remember that I am a beginner at this and am trying to learn about all the
weapons that are available to protect my little site.  Later on I hope to be
doing big and visible sites and will be more educated.

Since the US networks apparently can route through unpredictable areas like
the cell phone example showing California but really originating from Boston
I see that trying to limit sources to Missouri is not possible.  But, I
think there is some benefit to dropping packets from identifiable overseas
networks.

Thanks for all your help.

By the way, this will be hot food delivery to specific streets and addresses
and not even zip code analysis can work.  This service will be basically for
repeat, known customers and they will have to be certified over the phone in
advance.

Larry Nobs