Re: Installing Mysql on 9.0

--- "Eduardo A. dela Rosa" <EAdelaRosa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > shell> groupadd mysql
> > shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
> > shell> gunzip < mysql-VERSION.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
> > shell> cd mysql-VERSION
> > shell> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> > shell> make
> > shell> make install
> > shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
> > shell> chown -R root  /usr/local/mysql
> > shell> chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/var
> > shell> chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql
>
> hi Dali,
>
> What you've just followed are procedures for the
> impatients.
> You may miss some essential explanations if you
> don't read them.
>
> Nonetheless, I would advise you take the binary
> distribution to
> not complicate things further.  After all, you would
> only require
> source distribution if you need to tweak or modify
> MySQL DB Server.
> Using binary distribution:
>
> 1.  I presume that you've been installing as root;
>
> 2.  After creating group and user for "mysql"
> account, unzip
> 	the package using the command:
> 	shell> tar -xzf mysql-version.tar.gz;
>
> 3.  Rather than creating link to your
> /usr/local/mysql, I suggest
> 	moving the unzipped folder to /usr/local as mysql
> itself:
>     	 shell> mv mysq-version /usr/local/mysql
>
> 4.  cd to /usr/local/mysql;
> 5.  Run the script to initialize the database:
>     	 shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
> 6.  Change ownership of mysql folder to root and
> mysql:
> 	shell> chown -R root:mysql /usr/local/mysql
> 7.  change ownership of data to mysql:
> 	shell> chown -R mysql:mysql /usr/local/mysql/data
> 8.  copy support-files/my-xxx.cnf to /etc/my.cnf;
> 9.  I would suggest including /usr/local/mysql/bin
> to your
> 	$PATH;
> 10.  Try to run mysql server using:
> 	shell> mysqld
> 11.  For security purposes, never forget to change
> password
> 	for the superuser of your mysql.
>
> HTH.
>
> --
> EDUARDO A. DELA ROSA
> MCOM/2414
> http://www.smart.com.ph
>
> "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried
> anything new."
> -- Albert Einstein
>

> --

Yep! It worked good. I never thought about moving the
file. Thanks.

One problem I'm seeing now is after when I ran the
'mysqld' command, it ave me the following error:

mysqld dead but subsys locked

I had the mysql partially loaded last time, I thinkit
is doing it because of that. How can I uninstall the
package and tru it again or is there any other way to
fix it?

Thanks
Dali