Re: Installing Mysql on 9.0

> shell> groupadd mysql
> shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
> shell> gunzip < mysql-VERSION.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
> shell> cd mysql-VERSION
> shell> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
> shell> make
> shell> make install
> shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
> shell> chown -R root  /usr/local/mysql
> shell> chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/var
> shell> chgrp -R mysql /usr/local/mysql

hi Dali,

What you've just followed are procedures for the impatients.
You may miss some essential explanations if you don't read them.

Nonetheless, I would advise you take the binary distribution to
not complicate things further.  After all, you would only require
source distribution if you need to tweak or modify MySQL DB Server.
Using binary distribution:

1.  I presume that you've been installing as root;

2.  After creating group and user for "mysql" account, unzip
	the package using the command:
	shell> tar -xzf mysql-version.tar.gz;

3.  Rather than creating link to your /usr/local/mysql, I suggest
	moving the unzipped folder to /usr/local as mysql itself:
    	 shell> mv mysq-version /usr/local/mysql

4.  cd to /usr/local/mysql;
5.  Run the script to initialize the database:
    	 shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
6.  Change ownership of mysql folder to root and mysql:
	shell> chown -R root:mysql /usr/local/mysql
7.  change ownership of data to mysql:
	shell> chown -R mysql:mysql /usr/local/mysql/data
8.  copy support-files/my-xxx.cnf to /etc/my.cnf;
9.  I would suggest including /usr/local/mysql/bin to your
	$PATH;
10.  Try to run mysql server using:
	shell> mysqld
11.  For security purposes, never forget to change password
	for the superuser of your mysql.

HTH.

--
EDUARDO A. DELA ROSA
MCOM/2414

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-- Albert Einstein