attachments, signatures WAS RE: Sturman Industries Alerts

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 13:32 10/12/2003, you wrote:
> >On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Rik Thomas wrote:
> >
> > > Since we are being pedantic...
> > >
> > > And it is also considered bad form to digitally sign a post to a mailing
> > > list.  Please refrain from doing so, all attachments to mailing lists
> > > for that matter are bad form.
> >
> >When did that happen?
> >
> >Digital signatures are important.
>
> I think (hope) that Rik Thomas's point was that "ATTACHMENTS to mailing
> lists" are bad form and that he did not express himself clearly.
>
> I wish everyone signed their messages, but inline and without attachments.
> I wish I had already taken the time to figure out how to sign mine, but
> inline and without attachments. Digital signatures ARE important, and
> attachments ARE annoying.
>
> Just my two cents.

No no I meant what I said.  Thanks for the kind words.  But signatures,
whether attached or inline are useless and unwanted on 90% of the
professional mailing lists I am on.

No where did I say digital signatures weren't important.  They are a
vital tool in personal communication, not on a group mailing lists.  I
said they were not appreciated on mailing lists.  In fact, I believe
rfc1855 mentions something about it.  One of those "netiquette" rfcs.

I am backing off as this is completely off topic.

--
Rik Thomas rikt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ValuableHost.com ValuableNames.net