Re: Redhat 8 New User Questions

At 01:49 10/13/2003, you wrote:
2. Need some help setting up a simple DNS server using
Bind/Named.  I've tried to setup basic DNS service for
a two computer network just for testing.  I want to
run testdomain.com on the redhat machine
(192.168.0.1), and have a client XP machine
(192.168.0.2) be able to use the DNS of the redhat
machine and ping testdomain.com and have it resolve to
the Redhat machine (192.168.0.1).  I can't find
instructions for this anywhere or even sample
configuration files such as /etc/named.conf and
/var/named/testdomain.com  - if anyone has
instructions or sample files for these it would be
appreciated!

If you can detail what you have already done, I can walk you through the process. Keep this on-list so that the discussion will be useful to others.

My configuration files have just been posted to:

ftp://apollo.paiz.org/pub/bind/

There you will find an etc/ directory with a named.conf, and a var/named/ directory with the casa.paiz.org.* zone files (forward and reverse).

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx