Re: Redhat 8 New User Questions

Real Cucumber wrote:
Hi there,

I'm fairly new to Linux have two hopefully quick
questions for Redhat8:

1. I've noticed the GUI in Linux is terribly slow
compared to Windows, and my system doesn't seem to
multitask in the GUI very well at all.  For example, I
can click on things and it takes quite a while before
they open. The system even becomes unusable at times
such as when I'm installing software from a CD and try
to multitask - the CPU is at 100% and everything slows
to a crawl.  I've already updated the video driver
through Nvidia (seems to work fine the Nvidia logo
pops up on startup), and I can play games quite fast
like Unreal Tournament 2003 at 80-120 FPS.  But its
the desktop GUI that is slow... I'm using
Gnome/Ximian2.  Is this just normal or is there
something I can do to speed up the GUI in Linux?

Can't help you much with the GUI, I so rarely use it.

2. Need some help setting up a simple DNS server using
Bind/Named.  I've tried to setup basic DNS service for
a two computer network just for testing.  I want to
run testdomain.com on the redhat machine
(192.168.0.1), and have a client XP machine
(192.168.0.2) be able to use the DNS of the redhat
machine and ping testdomain.com and have it resolve to
the Redhat machine (192.168.0.1).  I can't find
instructions for this anywhere or even sample
configuration files such as /etc/named.conf and
/var/named/testdomain.com  - if anyone has
instructions or sample files for these it would be
appreciated!

Here's a great HOWTO for this... http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html

Thanks in advance for your time!

http://shopping.yahoo.com