RE: Mail is not working (any way to send message when daemon is down)

W. Parker
>  Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 6:18 PM
>  To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>  Subject: RE: Mail is not working (any way to send message

>  when daemon is
>  down)
>

>  Dali Islam <mailto:ibmdali@xxxxxxxxx>
>      on Thursday, October 09, 2003 1:33 PM said:
>
>  > Anyway, anyone knows how to send/relay a message only
>  > on the root login session when a service/daemon is
>  > down. Like in this case my sendmail was down.
>
>  Can a car be driven if the motor isn't on? Can you make
Pepsi without
>  the ingredients?
>
>  You may be able to send mail with something OTHER than
>  sendmail, but I
>  don't know how. And to answer your question directly, no
you
>  cannot send
>  mail via sendmail if the sendmail daemon is not running.
>

>  chris.
>
>  p.s. someone correct me if i am wrong!! thanks!

It would take a Mail user Agent with a built in SMTP
interface (perhaps one of the SMTP enabled PERL modules)
and then you point it at a sendmail server on another
machine.
The client does not have to point at a LOCAL sendmail server
to send mail,
you just need a client that can be configured to  SMTP
off-host.

Just need a MUA where you configure the ip address of the
SMTP server, like MS mail/Outlook.