Re: Install Linux from Fire wire drive

KC wrote:

I want to partition and install linux on my external firewire HDD. When I boot from the RH9 isntallation disks, and navigate to the drive selection screen, the drive is not shown.. this is most likely a bios issue yes? Is it possible to do what I want to do?
KC

That is very tricky. This is NOT a BIOS issue. What you need to do is load a driver for your firewire card whilst installing RedHat. What you can TRY to do is while installing RedHat, BEFORE you get to the drive selection screen, is jump to another console and try 'modprobe <name of firewire driver>'. I've never mucked around with Firewire on Linux, but from the look of the /lib/modules directory, I would assume it is 'modprobe ohci1394'. I could be wrong and if I am I stand corrected.

If that loads OK, you may also need to load SCSI modules to see the firewire drive.

I remember having to do this for some old SCSI cards.

Oh, and hopefully Linux will automatically adjust the ramdisk to include the new drivers. Make sure you keep a boot-disk handy with the firewire drivers available just in case.

Regards, Ed.