OpenLDAP

Hello all,
  I am a little confused in the early stages of looking ino LDAP.  I have a
small medical office, about 45-50 PCs, that are a mix of Win98, WinNT, Win2K,
and Linux [file server as Samba and print server at this stage].  No WinXP
yet.
  I am looking for a single authentication server process that is cross-
platform.  It is my understanding that LDAP can serve this purpose.  Is this a
correct assumption?  If not I can start looking down another avenue.

Thanks for your time.

Bob Hartung