Re: Minimal install RH8?

At 15:13 10/4/2003, you wrote:
On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 03:04:08PM -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Did you even look at the RULE page that someone suggested to you? That is
> exactly what RULE does: allow you to install a Red Hat Linux system into
> older hardware, or any hardware with less memory (down to 6MB RAM in some
> cases), and install a much smaller set of packages than Anaconda usually
> selects. It is still Red Hat Linux, though.

I would argue that this is *NOT* "Red Hat Linux".  It may certainly look
like it, but I don't think Red Hat would agree that a system built with
some arbitrary 3rd party installer would qualify as Red Hat Linux.

Yes, I'm being picky, but let's respect the trademarks when we can.
Please see the middle paragraph in
http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/guidelines/page5.html

I don't think you're being picky... I don't mind that. However, all the installer does is allow you to get the packages on disk. All packages (every single one of them) which get put on disk are Red Hat Linux packages, and there is not a single binary bit of difference between a system installed with Anaconda and another installed with Miniconda or Slinky when you're done.

RULE simply helps people install RHL with a smaller footprint, or into a smaller box with less memory. While RULE cannot and should not ever call itself "Red Hat Linux" or appropriate the "Red Hat" trademark in any way (and it doesn't), the stuff that ends up installed on my system is so far 100% Red Hat Linux packages.

I guess I don't see the difference... RULE is not abusing a trademark, just providing a complementary product.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx