Re: PROBLEM: repeatable lockup on RAID-6 with LUKS dm-crypt on NVMe devices when rsyncing many files

Hi,

> On 14. Aug 2024, at 10:53, Christian Theune <ct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 12. Aug 2024, at 20:37, John Stoffel <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I'd probably just do the RAID6 tests first, get them out of the way.
>
> Alright, those are running right now - I’ll let you know what happens.

I’m not making progress here. I can’t reproduce those on in-memory loopback raid 6. However: i can’t fully produce the rsync. For me this only triggered after around 1.5hs of progress on the NVMe which resulted in the hangup. I can only create around 20 GiB worth of raid 6 volume on this machine. I’ve tried running rsync until it exhausts the space, deleting the content and running rsync again, but I feel like this isn’t suffient to trigger the issue. :(

I’m trying to find whether any specific pattern in the files around the time it locks up might be relevant here and try to run the rsync over that
portion.

On the plus side, I have a script now that can create the various loopback settings quickly, so I can try out things as needed. Not that valuable without a reproducer, yet, though.

@Yu: you mentioned that you might be able to provide me a kernel that produces more error logging to diagnose this? Any chance we could try that route?

Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx · +49 345 219401 0