Re: PROBLEM: repeatable lockup on RAID-6 with LUKS dm-crypt on NVMe devices when rsyncing many files

Hi,

> On 9. Aug 2024, at 03:13, Yu Kuai <yukuai1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Yes, for sure IO are stuck in md127 and never get dispatched to nvme,
> for now I'll say this is a raid5 problem.

Note, that this is raid6, not raid5! Sorry, I never explicitly mentioned that and it was buried in the mdstat output.

Not sure whether that code is internally the same anyway…

> Can you describe in steps how do you reporduce this problem? We must
> figure out where are those IO and why they're not dispatched. I'll be
> easier to debug if I can reporduce it. Otherwise I'll have to give you
> a debug patch.

My workload is pretty simple IMHO:

1. This is on an XFS volume:

meta-data=/dev/mapper/backy      isize=512    agcount=112, agsize=268435328 blks
         =                       sectsz=4096  attr=2, projid32bit=1
         =                       crc=1        finobt=1, sparse=1, rmapbt=0
         =                       reflink=1    bigtime=1
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=30001587200, imaxpct=1
         =                       sunit=128    swidth=1024 blks
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0, ftype=1
log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=521728, version=2
         =                       sectsz=4096  sunit=1 blks, lazy-count=1
realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0

2. I’m rsyncing a large number of files using:

rsync -avz “<remote-machine>:/<remote-folder>" .

Specific aspects of the data that might come into play:

After 5-6 tries of syncing and locking up, I now have a directory on that volume that contains 154.820 files directly and 1.828.933 files recursively. The recursive structure uses a /year/<hash prefix>/<hash>-filename structure to spread out the 1.8 million files more evenly.

The total amount of data is 1.0 TiB at the moment. The smallest files are empty or just a few kilobytes. The mode of the filesizes is 180.984 bytes.

There is a second workload on the machine that has been running smoothly for a few weeks which backs up virtual machine images and creates a somewhat similarly (but more consistent) hashed structure but doesn’t use rsync but a more complex diff + content hashing + compression approach. However, that other tool does emit write barriers here and there -wWhich rsync doesn’t AFAIK.

I double checked, but the other workload was not active during my last lockup.

Happy to apply a debug patch to help diagnosing this.

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx · +49 345 219401 0